Which came first, the chicken, the egg or the explosion?

chicken egg explosion

Today’s post is more of a cautionary tale, and if one person gains knowledge from this, I will be happy.

It seemed easy enough; put two eggs in a bowl, cover the eggs with water and set the microwave. My daughter often made hard boiled eggs this way, and it seemed to be a viable option. I must admit I had never done this as I wondered about the risk of exploding eggs.

Once the timer went off I removed the bowl from the microwave. The water was still boiling and I gently placed the bowl on the counter.
Unbeknownst to me, one of the egg contained an embryo. According to my research what likely happened is that the pressure inside that particular egg was so strong the mere vibrations of putting the bowl on the counter caused the explosion.

And explosion is the right word! I don’t recall much except for the very loud “Bang” and feeling the heat of the boiling water on my left hand. I screamed and headed to the nearby bathroom while quickly taking my tshirt off my body. I ran the cold water while my daughter comforted me and checked out the kitchen.

There was egg particles EVERYWHERE. We determined that the egg was fertilized by examining some of the larger pieces of shell splattered all over the floor. It didn’t end there; later on my oldest daughter who rushed over to take me to the hospital noticed the splatters all over the cupboards AND the ceiling. That was one powerful explosion!

Fortunately, I only suffered first degree burns and I learned that keeping any type of burn covered and protected from the air is necessary to fight infection. My left hand was bandaged for one week, and now my skin is renewing itself (enough said).

In doing my research for this blog entry, I discovered a few very interesting facts.
The three most common microwave related burns are as follow:

1 – WATER BURNS
Superheating is what happens when water is heated past its boiling point, yet doesn’t form the bubbles we associate with boiling. When the superheated water is disturbed, as by bumping the container, stirring the water or adding something to it, the water may suddenly boil or vaporize into burning steam. One way to avoid this is by placing a non-metallic item such as a wooden spoon in the water.

2 – MOUTH BURNS caused by very hot substances such as cheese/sauce. Pizza seems to be the number one source of mouth burns caused by microwaved foods.

3 – EXPLODING EGGS
To hard boil eggs in the microwave, most cookbooks recommend the eggs shells be pricked (to allow pressure to escape) and completely covered in water.

This incident hasn’t diminished my yearning for eggs however I will stick to the old fashion stove top method from now on.
Cheers
Sylvie