We’ve often been told that carrots are good for our eyesight but what other benefits can we get from carrots?
* Carrots are rich in Beta carotene which is a powerful antioxidant which helps in maintaining a healthy skin and also keep one away from many diseases.
* Carrots are rich in alkaline elements which purify and revitalize the blood.
* They balance the acid alkaline ratio in the body.
* Carrots have Potassium in it which helps to balance the high levels of sodium associated with hypertension and keeps blood pressure under control.
* The high soluble fibre content in carrot, it reduces cholesterol by binding LDL, the bad cholesterol, and also increases the HDL which helps in reducing blood clots and heart diseases.
* Carrots are great for dental health as they kill harmful germs in the mouth and prevent tooth decay.
* Carrots aid digestion by increasing saliva and supplying the minerals, vitamins and enzymes required for it.
* Regular consumption of carrots helps in preventing gastric ulcers and digestive disorders.
* Raw carrots are used as a home remedy for treating worms in children.
* Raw or grated carrots can be used for wounds, cuts and inflammation.
* Carrots are rich in Carotenoids which are beneficial to blood sugar regulation.
* Carrots contain a phyto-nutrient called falcarinol which helps in promoting colon health and a reducing the risk of cancers.
I steam carrots on a weekly basis for our dinner meals, and I often add them to my salads. In the summertime I really enjoy going to our local markets to get the freshest and tastiest carrots available to us.