According to the Dr Oz show article “A Rainbow of Foods for Longevity” by Mao Shing Ni, L.Ac., D.O.M., PhD, “Like red berries, blueberries and blackberries receive their coloring from phytonutrient flavonoids. The phytonutrients found in blue and purple foods keep blood vessels healthy, benefiting your cardiovascular system and lowering your risk of heart disease. Flavonoids also help reverse short-term memory loss that comes with aging and may help prevent cancer.”
Here is the list of 10 Health Benefits of Blackberries from the site ingredientsinc.net
While at their peak season, indulge in blackberries for a nutritious snack or dessert. One cup of fresh blackberries has 62 calories, 1 gram of fat, 15 carbohydrates, 8 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein and only 1 mg of sodium. Here are the top 10 health benefits of eating blackberries:
1. Blackberries are one of the top ten foods containing antioxidants.
2. Blackberries are packed with polyphenols helping to prevent cancer and heart disease.
3. Blackberries are filled with anthocyanins (antioxidants which give blackberries their deep purple color) which help in memory retention and the risk of hypertension.
4. Blackberries are said to strengthen blood vessels, help fight heart disease and help improve eyesight.
5. The high tannin content of blackberries help tighten tissue, relieve intestinal inflammation, and help reduce hemorrhoids and stomach disorders.
6. Ohio State University found that blackberries may protect against esophageal cancer, a cancer caused by gastric reflux disease.
7. Blackberries have shown to protect against other types of cancers. They contain phytoestrogens (plant estrogens), a compound believed to play a vital role in preventing breast and cervical cancer.
8. Blackberries are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Manganese and fiber.
9. The high fiber content of blackberries help reduce risk of intestinal disease and the risk of developing diabetes.
10. Blackberries are a healthy food choice that kids and adults love. They are a great way to refuel after a hard workout and help aid in fighting obesity.